smRtfoods and the Gastronomy Charter
It's great that Galway and the West of Ireland have been designated European Region of Gastronomy for 2018. Gastronomy is about the relationship between food and culture. As a business based in an Irish-speaking part of Connemara, sourcing our seaweed ingredients from the Atlantic Wild Atlantic Way, we couldn't agree more.
It's one of the reasons why we've signed up to the Food Charter as a 'producer'. Here are the pledges that we've signed up to:
- We agree to support food waste minimisation principles and actions within the home and workplace
- We agree to support and share the promotion of the European Region of Gastronomy designation and to show support from ‘farm to fork’ across the year
- We agree to increase our knowledge and awareness of the regions food culture and locally produced assets
- We agree to support the general aim of the Galway European Region of Gastronomy: ‘To refresh and renew our commitment to an inclusive food culture - for our health, our economy, our communities, our identity and our environment - and to support sustainable economic, cultural, social, and environmental development'
- We agree to promote the European Region of Gastronomy across 2018 visibly on our premises and across social media
- We agree to train and support all staff to understand and promote the aims, activities and ambition of the European Region of Gastronomy designation and programme across 2018
- We agree to adopt a sensitive and sustainable approach to the growing, harvesting and the production of local ingredients and products
- We agree to educate and collaborate with local service businesses to ensure more local produce is made available across local supply chains
- We agree to engage and promote our business as part of the Region of Gastronomy designation across all business networks and media opportunities
Some of these pledges are already central to the way we work. As for the others, well, it's hard to separate seaweed and Connemara from Gastronomy and Galway!
We hope you're enjoying the year's events so far. You can read more about Galway and the West of Ireland's designation as European Region of Gastronomy 2018 here, and download the events schedule here.